Educators and parents who want to motivate and inspire kids with meaningful writing activities can find some interesting writing categories, questions, and prompts below.
MY FAMILY AND ME
Write a book about yourself and your characteristics/interests
- Add facts like age, height, hair and eye color.
- Write about your main interests/hobbies and why.
- Tell about your favorite food, clothes, color, number, etc.
Make a book about your family and friends
- Take photos of people who are near and dear to you.
- Write about your relationship to these people and tell a few things that characterize them. Get inspiration from the list above.
MY ROOM AND TOYS
Take photos of your room and write about the things you like best
- Why do you like those things? What do they mean to you?
- How do you use your favorite things and with who?
- When did you get them and who gave them to you?
Create your own toy story
- Make scenes with your toys; take pictures and create your own fiction story.
- Make a few notes about the beginning, middle, and end of your story before writing your story.
HOLIDAYS AND FAMILY EVENTS
My vacation diary
- Take photos of what you experienced on your trip and write some text to go along with it.
- Send your book(s) to friends or grandparents as a digital post card.
Write about great family celebrations/feasts and national holidays
- Make memory scrapbooks about special events in the family like birthdays, first day at school, babies, weddings, etc.
- Take photos and write about what you do and with whom for holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Easter, Independence Day, Christmas, etc.
MANUALS OR COOKBOOKS
Write your own “how-to” book
- Take screenshots of your favorite games/programs and write about how to build your own world in Minecraft (for example), or how to create drawings or music on your computer.
- Write a book about how to play your favorite board game, how to take care of your pet, or how to make a perfect braid. Write about anything that you are good at and that others can learn from you.
Cooking, baking, and writing
- Make your favorite dish or cake and take photos along the way.
- Afterward, write your own cookbook and share it with friends and family.
Write books about your idols and favorite teams/players
- Search for images on the internet of your idols or take photos of your fan merchandise. Write a book with relevant info about your favorite singer, band, athlete, sports team, etc.
Top 5 lists
- Make books of personal top 5 lists. Add one image and one explanation per page for each thing on your list.
- The lists can be about idols and favorite athletes/teams as mentioned above but also topics such as movies, books, games, food, candy, colors, animals, etc.
- The image search functionality in the app can be useful to find images for a variety of top 5 lists.
ALPHABET AND NUMBERS
Write your own alphabet and number books
- Make a page for every letter in the alphabet. Take a photo of things in your house starting with each letter. Write sentences to go along with it, such as “A is for apple.”
- Make a page for all the numbers from 1-20. Take photos of objects/people and write sentences like “I have 1 mother,” “I have 2 rabbits,” “My brother is 3 years old,” and so on.